A lot of our users are on XenServer Free edition, because they only use it for server virtualization. Since 7.3 and some features removed, the legitimate question is: what's next?
- If you use XenDesktop, then for you nothing changes: keep using XenServer!
- If you just want to use server virtualization, you'll need to get a license or miss Xen Storage motion, use small pools, etc. Not a big deal, but a pain.
- If you don't care about sec patches, stay on 7.1 or 7.2 (no upgrade) -> that's OK for now, but would be a problem in the future!
Before XenServer was Open Source, a clone existed: XCP. Basically, it's a CentOS with all RPMs needed to make a XenServer-like. That's probably something you would like to have (us too!). In theory, everything is on GitHub but:
- no build currently work "as-is"
- it's a bit hard to evaluate all tools needed into Dom0
- how much resources we need to make it real again?
A repo was created, it will incorporate all needed repo to build it from the sources (if it's doable): https://github.com/xcp-ng
We must make an exploration. Community (you!) can help to achieve that!
- You got skills? Help everyone directly! We'll add you to the GitHub organization!
- You want to help but you don't have XAPI or dev knowledge at all? We got some people ready to help: one of our external provider who helped us a lot with XOSAN code. So he knows a bit about XenServer: we could give him a mission to explore how to build an XCP like solution. If you are interested to support a 10 days mission to evaluate the "XCP possibility", tell us!
Centralizing resources to make a 100% community oriented XCP-like would be a great thing for everyone!
Also this is also a place to discuss any other alternatives you have in mind, and how XO can help with that
Other discussions related to 7.3 release
XenServer is now a popular discussion topic
In theory, it requires you to provide build scripts. Where are they?