XO 4.0

• Hi,

I want to share few comments about new release of XO (applaince 4.0.2, in trial) . As I said before XO It is great and fast solution, so I will share my opinion about some features.

Admin has all privileges, that is ok. But from my point of view there is some misconfiguration for operator.
    Operator is able to assing boot sequnce (that is ok) but at the other has operator is unable to mount CD/DVD device, especially XenServer tools (realy important).

There is lots of buttons that user can't realy use (confusing operators, migrate, snapshots, convert to template, export), my opinion is that better not to publish button that is unavailable to user (or color it gray and disable it).

Operator can disconnect interface fom vm, that's great. But when want to create interfaces, XO gives him JSON message {code:2}. As above it is better to put it in gray color and disable that button from the start.
    The same with option to create additional virtual disk.

Suspend button not showing any error, but at the other hand not provide any action.

Is there any documentation, about requests to xo-server, if we have reqirements integrate XO with other systems (like monitoring), creating or migrating users from other systems?

Also would be nice to have option, to embed some external source to its iframe (define additional page that contains some date for example from IDS that shows statistics for given VM).

Thanks

Dubravko

• Thanks, that's a lot of feedback ^^

We'll try to make some triage and create dedicated issues.

@julien-f can you check the question more xo-server oriented? Thanks.

• @dsever got a question:

In your opinion, should a operator role be able to create disks or network interfaces? Or it should be more for a admin role? I'm not sure on my side, I'll prefer this for a VM admin, but give me your opinion.

• Hi,

That's right operator should not be able to create VDIs and Interfaces (as you said that only for admins). But at the other maybe it would nice to have connect/disconnect option for interfaces (like already is).

Dubravko

• Okay thanks for the clarification!

• @dsever Issue #267 is fixed: you should be able to eject a CD as VM operator.

Just update your XOA to get the latest version

For be able to mount a CD, you need to give at least the Viewer role on the SR where is the ISO VDI.

E.g, you want you customer to mount the xs-tool.iso for the VM myVM:

• add the user as Operator for myVM
    • add the user as Viewer for XenServer tools ISO repository

Like this screenshot:

• Hi Olivier

After updating the XO, to the latest version, (using updater), I'm getting the same behaviour. Have I missed something?
    Here are my screens.

roles
    action

Dubravko

• @dsever : refresh your browser (F5) to be sure you have loaded the latest version. If any doubt, restart xo-server:

• by systemctl restart xo-server.service
    • or reboot XOA

• I already rebooted VM

Dubravko

• Hmm. So it doesn't make any sense to me. I'll try to reproduce it from a fresh XOA.

• Okay, on a fresh XOA:

• doesn't work without xo-server-4.0.2
    • I upgrade, but xo-server is not restarted automatically (it should), so the problem persist
    • I restart the service (or rebooted the VM): it works.

Are you sure it's the right ISO repository you gave as view to the user? (is it possible you have a tool SR named the same way?)

• I will try to redeploy applaince, and then try it again.

Dubravko

• Hi,

I've redeployed applaince (last free download), but it is even worse (two time I've redeployed appliance) 😞

root@xoa:~# xoa-updater
    Successfully connected to xoa-updater-service
    Checking new versions...ok â

â
    Å¡ All up to date

After running upgrade, can't start XO server (with or without restart):
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: Unit xo-server.service entered failed state.
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: xo-server.service holdoff time over, schedu...t.
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: Stopping XO Server...
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: Starting XO Server...
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: xo-server.service start request repeated to...t.
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: Failed to start XO Server.
    Jun 05 14:42:31 xoa systemd[1]: Unit xo-server.service entered failed state.

when trying to start it manually:
    root@xoa:~# /usr/local/bin/xo-server
    xo:main Configuration loaded. +0ms
    â Cannot read property 'http' of undefined
    TypeError: Cannot read property 'http' of undefined
    at main$ (/source/index.js:391:27)
    at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:67:40)
    at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:294:22)
    at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js💯21)
    at invoke (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:136:37)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:165:16
    at runMicrotasksCallback (node.js:337:7)
    at process._tickCallback (node.js:355:11)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:503:11)
    From previous event:
    at execPromise (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/exec-promise/index.js:59:22)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/bin/xo-server:7:24)
    at Module._compile (module.js:460:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:478:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:355:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:310:12)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:501:10)
    at startup (node.js:129:16)
    at node.js:814:3

Not looking good, can you please check it out

Dubravko

• I need the log of what happened during the update process.

We are starting to bundle all dependencies to avoid that kind of troubles (e.g: it works but sometimes not due to some external dependencies)

• Where I can find this upgrade logs?

Dubravko

• in the /var/log/syslog or even better using journalctl e.g:

journalctl -u xoa-updater.service

• From this poing of view there is version misconfiguration of modules

Here it is, but it looks like doesn't provide many information 😞

root@xoa:~# journalctl -u xoa-updater.service
    -- Logs begin at Fri 2015-06-05 14:40:19 CEST, end at Fri 2015-06-05 14:55:16 CEST. --
    Jun 05 14:40:33 xoa xoa-updater[1172]: Server listening on 9001
    Jun 05 14:46:45 xoa xoa-updater[1172]: [55B blob data]
    Jun 05 14:46:45 xoa xoa-updater[1172]: All up to date

More detailed:
    Jun 5 13:59:31 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: xo-server#015 xo-server <E2><9C><94>
    Jun 5 13:59:35 xoa xo-server[2133]: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:59:35 GMT xo:api acl.getCurrent(...)
    Jun 5 13:59:35 xoa xo-server[2133]: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:59:35 GMT xo:api acl.getCurrent(...) <E2><86><92> object
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: xo-server-auth-ldap-enterprise#015 xo-server-auth-ldap-enterprise
    <E2><9C><94>
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: xo-server will be restarted...
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa systemd[1]: Stopping XO Server...
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa systemd[1]: Starting XO Server...
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa systemd[1]: Started XO Server.
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: Restarting xo-server <E2><9C><94>
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: Could not notify client: not opened
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: Your XOA has been successfully upgraded.
    Jun 5 13:59:45 xoa xoa-updater[2312]: Could not notify client: not opened
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 11:59:46 GMT xo:main Configuration loaded.
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: <E2><9C><96> Cannot read property 'http' of undefined
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: TypeError: Cannot read property 'http' of undefined
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: at main$ (/source/index.js:391:27)
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:67:40)
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:294:22)
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: at GeneratorFunctionPrototype.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js💯21)
    Jun 5 13:59:46 xoa xo-server[2832]: at invoke (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/xo-server/node_modules/babel-runtime/regenerator/runtime.js:136:37)

• That's probably because it displays only the latest data. You can add more with --since yesterday for example.

• Can you give me what's previously displayed before?