DELTA backup question

• I have a question on the delta backups.

If you set up a delta job on a new VM, it needs to take a full backup first, right?

Can you still take a one-time full backup? How would that work? Would it break the chain?

• The reason I ask is because I assume you would need a full backup before you could do a delta.

But full does not show as a restore option when the job is set up as delta.

• i assume that if you take a full backup, then you can create you vm by just this backup,

• @alket said:

i assume that if you take a full backup, then you can create you vm by just this backup,

Right. I totally understand the full backup concept.

My questions are ...

1. If I have a new VM, and want to set up a delta-based backup ... do I have to run a full backup first? Or do I just set up a backup job of type delta?

2. If I am running delta backups, and then do a separate full backup, what happens?

• Reading the documentation will probably answer your question.

You don't have to manually create the full-backup. The backup job will do it for you automatically.

• @mk is right 👍 We manage that automatically.

• @mk said:

Reading the documentation will probably answer your question.

You don't have to manually create the full-backup. The backup job will do it for you automatically.

@mk can you point out to me where in that link it answers my question?

• @olivierlambert said:

@mk is right 👍 We manage that automatically.

I actually played around with this on an empty NFS share, and saw this happen for myself, so yes. 🙂

I also notivced that full backups are put in the root of the share, not a subdirectory. So does this mean for my other question that running a FULL backup does nothing to affect the delta chain?

So say I have full backups existing ... will it use on of those for the delta chain, or will it take yet another full backup to start the delta chain?

• You're kind of right, the documentation doesn't says it creates it automatically, but doesn't says that you should create it manually either. 😃

The backup job usually creates a sub directory with the backup-type_tag_uuid naming schema for the machine and a sub directory for each connected VDI.

I actually don't know. Never tried this, the developers should answer you this question or you try it out.

• Full backups are not compatible with delta in any way. That's a complete different process.

• @olivierlambert said:

Full backups are not compatible with delta in any way. That's a complete different process.

Got it.

So it's like FULL-FULL and FULL-DELTA. 🙂

• Nope, it's:

• XVA/XVA/XVA (full backup using XenServer VM export mechanism)
    • or disk export + metadata, with full for each first disk backup, then delta and merge when retention is reached

That's very very different