Real continuous replication?

• Sorry I know I'll not be using the correct terms here..

As I understand it continuous replication works very similarly to delta backups in that it runs on a set schedule, except that the result is a VM, not a backup file. Of course the problem there is that any data between that backup and your server breaking is lost.

This is fine for the likes of app servers, but for databases and the likes where it's either up to date or not - then it isn't.

So is there any mechanism where I can have a spare xcp-ng server with a large disk which would get real time updates of stored VMs such that they are always kept up to date, at least in terms of sub 1 minute timescales?

• You could use XOSAN, which isn't a backup but a Hyper-Converged solution so if any host in your pool dies the VM is immediately on an available host.

This would ensure your VM is up and running within the time frame you specified.

This is not a backup.

• @DustinB3403 said in Real continuous replication?:

You could use XOSAN, which isn't a backup but a Hyper-Converged solution so if any host in your pool dies the VM is immediately on an available host.

This would ensure your VM is up and running within the time frame you specified.

This is not a backup.

True, I've tried a few times to make it work, but it just hasn't :(.
    And it's extremely expensive.